Download Full Text (1.6 MB)
- Childhood obesity has doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years.
- As of 2012, over 1/3 of children and adolescents in the United States are overweight or obese.
- A study from the CDC estimates that 1 in 3 children born In the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime.
- Obese children are at an increased risk for developing cardiovascular disease, diabetes and pre-diabetes, joint problems, sleep apnea, as well as social and psychological problems stemming from stigmatization and poor self-esteem. Overweight and obesity are also risk factors for multiple types of cancers.
- Overweight and obese teens have fewer friends than their normal weight peers. They also suffer from higher rates of depression and suicide if they are being teased by about their weight.
Summer Activity Log, Overweight, Obesity, Children, Vermont
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
Medical Education | Primary Care
Edwards, Bryce, "Summer Physical Activity Log and Reward System for Children in Colchester, Vermont" (2014). Family Medicine Clerkship Student Projects. 2.